WHY CHOOSE US.
I make every attempt to be a true public-servant. not only to those who elected me but to the entire population of families and students in the State of LA. My legislation has been diverse with concentrations on Education Reform and Penal Reform. It is my hope to leave a legacy of “change” as I continue on this public service journey.
Married to FREDDIE SMITH, JR.
- Attended St. Francis Xavier and Southern Lab
- Graduated from Glenville High School, Cleveland, Ohio
- BS in Education from Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- Post graduate work at Youngstown State, Youngstown, Ohio and LSU
- Coordinator of LSU Community University Partnership—2004 – 2007
- ExxonMobil–1981 to 2003
- Teacher— EBR Parish Schools-Glasgow Middle Magnet
- Teacher— Ashtabula Area City Schools, Ashtabula, Ohio
Re-elected to second term as State Representative – District 67, Louisiana House of Representatives, November 2011
- Member of St. Francis Xavier Church
- Past President of St. Francis Xavier Parish Council
- Past Director of the Children’s Choir
- Member of the Contemporary Choir
- Two terms as Chair of the LA Legislative Black Caucus (2nd term ended January 2013)
- Formerly served as the 1st Vice- Chair of LLBC
- Louisiana Legislative Women’s Caucus
- NOBEL – Women – 1st Vice Chair
- NBCSL (National Black Caucus of State Legislators)
- Baranco Clark YMCA Board/Immediate past Chair of the board
- Former Member of the National Advisory Committee for Black Achievers’ -YMCA of the USA
- Black Achievers’ Steering Committee – Chair, Scholarship Committee
- GBR Chamber Leadership Alumni
- Holiday Helpers
- Nu Gamma Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority- Silver Soror
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
For the past 10+ years I have served as the State Representative for District 67. This journey has had many challenges as well as many celebrations. 2019 marks my last year as a member of the House due to term limits but I know I have much more work to do. That’s why I have officially decided to announce that I am a candidate for the Senate for District 14. My senator, Yvonne Dorsey Colomb is also term limited and is wholeheartedly supporting me in this effort.
Women are becoming a vital part of the fabric of the political sphere and I want to do my part to continue to raise Louisiana’s numbers to become more representative of the rich diverse population we have here in the state. Women represent only 14.6% of the legislative members and we have the third smallest number in the country. I definitely don’t want to see the numbers diminish so I am looking forward to representing the constituents in Senate District 14 in 2020.
I have been staunch supporter of public education and will continue to support our educators and our school districts that often struggle in the wake of fewer resources, human capitol and stability in staffing. I support 150% increasing the MFP and raising teacher pay.
Additionally, it is crucial that we continue to fund higher education to its fullest to ensure every young person who seeks a post secondary degree is able to achieve it either at a 4 year or 2 year facility. Our school districts need to expand their ability to provide training under the Jumpstart program to train students in technical careers leading to employment in high demand high wage jobs.
Louisiana Coalition Against Domestic ViolenceSupporting Survivors in the Purple Purse Challenge!
Citizen SHE United VOTINGStanding in OUR Power
some of our
Ladies come out for some politics, laughs and serious business as we help Pat Smith continue the great
Participating in the Deaf Education Conference at the Holiday Inn South
Speaker for Top Teens of America - Nonpareil Chapter’s 2019 blue/silver ball Southern University M.L.K. Catholic Student Center
Louisiana Federation of Teachers
Former State Rep. – Joe Delpit
Former State Legislator – Shirley Bowler
American Federation of Labor – Congress of Industrial Organizations
1520 Thomas Delpit Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
(225) 342-7106 Phone
(225) 326-5416 Cell
(225) 388-0952 Campaign Office
(225) 342-7117 Fax